Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Welcome To Another Day In Cyberville

For nearly seven years I have had the pleasure of joining thousands of you in your homes, offices, coffee shops and restaurants.

When I was first asked to do this column, the Sun and I agreed that the key need was to try and make technology understandable for the average person.

At that point I'd already been involved in computers in an office setting for more than fifteen years.

I'd had the opportunity to help design computer installations for a Fortune 500 company, and it had become very clear to me that spending millions of dollars on hardware meant next to nothing if the people being asked to use it didn't understand how.

By the year 2000 I'd also sat through hundreds of computer seminars aimed at both tech professionals and small businesses. It was also clear from those seminars that the thing most often needed by computer users wasn't new hardware, but a better understanding of how to use what they already had.

I've also very much enjoyed the fact that so many of you have written to me with questions, stopped me in stores or on the street, and invited me into your homes and offices.

I've also had the chance to meet many more of you at presentations throughout the area including Lake City, Lake Butler, Gainesville and numerous others.

Perhaps the most gratifying experience from meeting so many of you online or in person is that so many readers have told me they have saved many of my columns for years.

I've even had readers bring out folders full of “Cyberville” where they've kept their favorites for future reference. From my experience it's rare that people clip and save something on a regular basis, and I hope Cyberville continues to be so.

I'd like to thank several people for their assistance to me over the past seven years – first to Jackie Levine, Managing Editor, for giving me the opportunity to begin writing “Another Day In Cyberville”. It was her impetus from reading a similar column in Syracuse that brought “Cyberville” to life.

The second would be Doris Chandler, long-time Business Editor of the Sun, who provided much of the feedback I received from an editorial side, and for her invaluable input for many years.

And the third would be Jeff Tudeen, now the Sun's Weekend and Readership Editor, who also provided encouragement and the opportunity to appear elsewhere in the Sun from time to time.

I'd also like to thank Hank Conner of WUFT-FM's “Conner Calling” for having me as a semi-regular guest on his Friday program.

Over the years we've taken calls, e-mail and instant messages from readers and listeners as far away as New England and from trucks driving through Gainesvile on I-75. With Hank's good graces, you'll continue to hear a radio version of “Cyberville” as time permits.

The majority of the many readers I've met online or in person have told me they read Cyberville every Monday and look forward to it.

As such, it's my intention online to have a new column available for readers each Monday as well. You're also welcome to contact me either through the blog, or at adayincyberville@gmail.com.

Again, it's truly been a pleasure to know so many readers have joined me along the way in exploring Another Day In Cyberville. And I hope to see many of you in the future.

Thank you.

No comments: